Thursday, December 8, 2011

Flew south for the winter

“Why must the thrill of flying be preceded by the fear of falling?” -unknown

    Let me preface this by saying that this blog post was written in the terminal at LAX but the lack of internet access means that by the time I finally post this I will be in Colombia.    Sitting here with Bob Seger’s “Against the Wind” blasting through my headphones I have no trouble finding the correlation.  I am still in the states, for the next hour or so anyways.  Nerves? Not as bad as I would have thought.  The past four days have been so mentally and financially draining that I have very little energy to spare on nerves.  If you hadn’t heard, I had a bit of a mix up with my passport.  The passport I was issued was a passport card.  To travel overseas you need a passport book.  I caught this unfortunate error (on my behalf) roughly 30 hours before the original flight was set to depart.  I had to cancel my flight, though I still went to the airport to see the girls off.

    I was able to book another flight to Colombia a few days later (for $740).  Most of Monday was spent in line at the federal building in Los Angeles, but well worth it since I was approved for a rush passport ($195).  Having no ride back to the federal building the next day to pick it up I became very familiar with the bus system in LA.  Long story short, I arrived back at my aunt’s house Tuesday afternoon with my passport in hand.  Double and triple checked everything today (Wednesday) and had a brief conversation with the girls.  They also have a blog set up which I highly recommend you checkout at http://www.volar2012.blogspot.com/


    Nothing else to report really.  I sit here perched on the cusp of… something. Whether it be the adventure of a lifetime or a complete disaster, time will tell.  I am fairly certain that no matter what happens in these next few months, my life will be forever changed.  Everything and yet nothing so far has prepared me for what comes next. Time to take flight!  Here. We. Go.

No comments:

Post a Comment