Thursday, April 26, 2012

The Home Stretch



“Everyday you may make progress.  Every step may be fruitful.  Yet there will stretch out before you an ever-lengthening, ever-ascending, ever-improving path.  You know you will never get to the end of the journey.  But this, so far from discouraging, only adds to the joy and glory of the climb.”  -Winston Churchill


     Hello world.  It’s been a short while since I gave the ol’ blog a new story so I had to change that.  I think I last left off telling you all that I had just arrived back in Mancora to begin volunteering at the hostel.  Well, I am still here and life is still sweet.  This post will lack tales of great adventure but hopefully you will get an idea of what my day to day life is like.  I typically work 3-4 days a week behind the bar.  Bartending at the hostel is great fun as it supplies you with an easy way to meet the continuous flow of travelers.  We have activities every afternoon to try and get more people involved, and each night there are drinking games, karaoke, or themed parties.  Last night I sang a very horrible rendition of “How Do I Live?” by Leann Rimes.  It’s amazing how ridiculous one can act when you have no shame.  Last Saturday we had a pirate themed party, which I bartended dressed as a Somalian pirate.  The week before was an ABC (anything but clothes) party.  Bring out the bed sheets and plastic bags!


     Volunteering here definitely has its perks.  I get to stay for free, get free breakfast, one additional free meal, and my 3rd meal is discounted at 40%.  Down time is plentiful.  The hostel has a pool, which is often murky, restaurant, bar, a few hammocks, and its own private beach which supplies some of the best sunsets you will ever see.  I fill my days with naps, reading, and conversing with fellow travelers.


     I think this will be my second to last post.  I will leave Mancora on May 3rd and once again make the 20+ hour bus ride to Lima, where I fly home from on May 6th.  Looking at a map I haven’t covered the ground I wanted to in my 5 months down here but where ever I was is where I was supposed to be.  I wouldn’t trade any of these experiences.  


     I have been trying to connect with life back in the states more in hopes to avoid culture shock upon my return, but most of it is a distant memory.  I left as a wide-eyed wanderer and will return as a long hair and bearded drifter that suddenly needs to find a job.  I think learning to live with my feet on the ground after flying for 5 months will be the greatest challenge.  I also really look forward to shaving this beard off.  I told a lot of friends that I would keep it the entire time I was in South America and I must say, I’m sick of it.  Food gets stuck in it, bugs fly into it, sand finds its way in it, and apart from instantly being qualified for 4 roles in any nativity play I don’t see much use for it.  Ditching the beard and In-N-Out Burger are two huge perks of returning home (behind family and friends of course).  I’ll wrap up this post now.  I had a long night last night and consumed a few more drinks than I should have so I reckon I’ll take a nap.  You will here from me again either just before I depart or shortly after I arrive in California.  Ciao!


No comments:

Post a Comment